Birthdays have always a big deal to me, even if it’s not my day. I love that it’s a moment to celebrate you. How often do we take a second to acknowledge our accomplishments and growth? To have a day to ourselves? Even if you don’t do something spectacular, it’s still a day to show yourself some love.
This year I had a bigger bash then I usually do because I had two reasons to celebrate – seeing another year and purchasing a home. #TTturnup was a blast and I’m so thankful for all of my friends and family that came out to my housewarming / birthday party to kick off the next chapter of my life.
Aside from celebrating, birthdays are also an opportunity to reflect on how far you’ve came. As I enter my 24th year, I’ve learned many life lessons that I’ll take with me as I grow. Here are a few things that I know to be true:
- God loves you more than Kanye loves Kanye.
- Work hard, pray harder.
- You don’t need to have it all figured out because God already has a plan.
- Cherish the naps that you have time to take because they come few and far between.
- Everything is working together for your good.
- The world doesn’t revolve around you.
- Don’t force someone in your life who doesn’t want to be there.
- Get out of your head and stop overthinking things.
- Educators have no age limit – even a kid can teach you something new.
- What’s for you is for you and no one can take it away.
- When possible, be a unicorn and unleash your awesomeness.
- The pruning process is difficult but necessary to growth.
- Be a hometown tourist whenever you can because there is beauty in your backyard.
- You are a reflection of the people you spend the most time with.
- There is no room for growth in your comfort zone.
- The Law of Attraction is real.
- To travel is to live.
- Everyone in your life is meant to teach you a lesson. Appreciate what you learn.
- If there isn’t an opportunity available, create one.
- Inspiration is everywhere.
- Practice Sankofa – go back and get it.
- Like Nemo, just keep swimming and never give up.
- Take care of yourself.
- You are more powerful than you know.
What has been some of your greatest life lessons? Share in the comments below!